Friday 18 December 2015

Midweek meals

Midweek meals as a result of raids through the fridge

Grocery shopping for the week is not always easy and getting things that are not the usual are fascinating. So very often I don`t know what to cook with things I buy, the week will show me as it progresses.

I combine many foods that are on the first look incompatible, sweet and sharp, salty and fresh and so on. I sometimes buy goods on the first look, I don´t know what to do with them and I store them for use in the next days.

Looking for the unknown is one of my favorite things to do. Since I love to travel, I love to walk  through markets, farmer markets and supermarkets. Food that talks to me, is a wonderful thing. And I listen!

Often while preparing something, I see solutions to cook with the leftovers combined with other items I stored away.
Kaki with Fennel Salad
Carrot Rasberry Raita

Jerusalem Artichoke "Bun" with Burger
What to do with one lonesome Kaki and a bulb of Fennel and a strive for something healthy. Easy: first eat a raw fennel and later the kaki.  Boring!

Sweet with the anasidic taste of fennel sounds more fun. And it has to look great on camera. So what to do:  chop  up the fennel into small pieces, cut the kaki into thin discs.

recipe for the dressing:
100 g plain yogurt
50 ml orange juice
1/2 lime juice
1 tsp agave syrup
a pinch of salt and orange pepper
1 yellow chilli seeded
2 tbsp rape seed oil
1 tbsp chives
5 g Chia seeds
30 g toasted pine nuts

Get the dressing together, stir in the fennel and place on top the carparccio style dressed kaki discs.
Toss pine nuts and chia seeds on top.

get flashed!

Carrot Rasberry Raita
I once bought on my way home some raspberries,  I was so hungry that I grabbed some carrots out of the salad drawer of my fridge. While still chewing on those, I saw my rasberries and popped 2 into my mouth. Chomp chomp later and my brain stated, wow! That is a great combination. Chicken skewers with some carrot as a veggie was forgotten, and I came up the the Raita.


recipe:
1 cup Greek yogurt
3 medium carrots
1 punnet of raspberries
1 tbsp chopped parsley
2 pinches each of ground cumin, coriander and vanilla
1/2 tsp salt and pepper

Peel and grate the carrots, chop the parsley and quarter half of the raspberries. Put everything together and mix the yogurt with vanilla, cumin and coriander and season it with salt and pepper. Use some whole raspberries in the mix and decorate the rest on top.

Good to serve with any chicken dish and spicy curry.  Give it a try!

Burger Week and what to do with a bag of Topinambur or Jerusalem artichoke.
Place the meat between veggies and forget about a real bun and call it a Veggie Burger .

Absolutely tasty and filling, the thin deep fried slices, drained and seasoned mixed with the other condiments and soaked with the juice of the burger patties, a real treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment