Wednesday 20 January 2016

A warm soup after a long cold day

When you are out in the cold in the winter, you need something warm.

Beef Pho

I love Vietnamese Pho.
The hot broth warms down to the toes and it is so tasty, that drinking it down is a must, after fishing out all the ingredients that came with it. I make it with meat, fish or prawns and all the veggies I can find.

But I have to confess, I pimp up the original style of a Pho broth. I love Japanese Miso paste and dashi stock. These two ingredients are a must for a soup in this style.

Since I had a third of my Roast Beef leftover and letting it go to waste would be a shame, I used it as the meat in the soup. Our organic supermarket had purslane again, which you don´t get anywhere else. Some cabbage is still sitting around and a few leaves are welcome in the soup.

recipe:
700 ml beef broth
1 tbsp white miso paste
1 small package dashi stock
1 star anise
1 stick cinnamon
2 lemongrass sticks
1 red chilli
3 cm ginger
bring that to a boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes, then strain out all the spices

40 g rice vermicelli   put in a bowl and add 500 ml boiling water and let sit for 3 minutes, drain

100 g cooked Roast Beef
50 g purslane
50 g Jaroma cabbage
2 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp coriander

in the soup bowl, start with the vermicelli and add all raw veggie and herbs, sit the meat on top and pour the hot stock on top- enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment