Saturday 23 January 2016

Blanc-manger coco

Every time when I am grocery shopping in the french supermarket, I pick up a Gourmand magazine issue. I have to confess, I collect them and I have now about 120 issues at home. I love their view on food. Many dishes I have done are inspired of one of these issues.

Blanc-manger coco
I was looking through the last one I bought short before Christmas and I found a light dessert. Asian inspired Blanc-manger coco.
Since all ingredients were at hand, and the main course was Asian ribs with rice noodle salad, that dessert should be the crown of the day.

Blanc-manger is usually an almond dessert which is made with almond milk, some chopped almonds and milk and sometimes cream.

It is actually fairly easy to prepare, when you are not forgetting to get a large enough pot, because the liquid has the tendency to boil over and make a mess. I forgot ;-(   But cleaning an induction hob is not so bad.

recipe:
500 ml whole milk
400 ml can of coconut milk
1 lime zested
150 g sugar
5 gelatin leaves
3 tbsp dry roasted dessicated coconut 

Soak the gelatin in cold water for about 5 minutes.  In a large pot heat the milk, then add the coconut milk, the sugar and the lime zest and bring back to a boil, add the squished
out gelatin and stir well until it completely dissolves. Cut down the heat to a low simmer and cook the liquid for 10 minutes, stirring often. At last add the roasted coconut to the mix. Fill into a big bowl or into individual cups and give it 3-4 hours to firm up.


Serve it with some raspberries and blueberries and some mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment