Sunday 17 January 2016

Roastbeef with Mustard Crust

I made my first attempt of a Roast beef today.

Roast beef medium, but not rare

The few times I had it somewhere, I hated it and could not finish the beef. I thought it disgusting when the middle was still dark red. I felt as if the cow was still wagging its tail. And chewing it gave me the creeps. I have no problem with eating any kinds of raw seafood, oysters and all the other stuff that comes out of the sea. That is wonderful, but raw meat, brrr.
Sometimes when I am in France, I order a Charolais beef tartar, it still takes me some strength to enjoy it, but with raw egg, capers and mustard I can eat it and it is fine.

I bought a slice of roast beef 3 cm thick and 300 g in weight. I cut the fat on the side a couple of times to prevent it from shrinking. I had it out of the fridge for an hour to get back to room temperature.

Ingredients
recipe for the crust:
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tsp mustard medium hot
1 tsp dried Italian herbs

Mustard Crust
Preheat the oven grill to 250 C. ( When you make oven chips(Fries) before that, take them out and
crank up the heat)

Pat the beef dry, season it with salt and pepper and in a very hot pan with a shot of oil, sear it on each side for 2 minutes, then sear the edges 1 minutes each. Place it on an oven proof plate, cover with the mustard crust at least 1/2 cm thick and stick it in the oven under a grill for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat and open the door and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Served with oven chips, sour cream and wine

Serve with the fries/chips and some sour cream and a good glass of red wine.

1 comment:

  1. This looks fabulous, I'm a medium-rare kind of girl but I really understand those who find it hard. But I think thats something you can "learn to like". The roast beef looks great and such a great idea with the mustard :) Here we often eat roast beef as lunch, with a cold potato salad or a thing called "mimosa salad", a savory but sweet fruit salad with a whipped cream and mayonnaise-base.

    ReplyDelete