Sunday 24 April 2016

A Popes favourite lemon dessert

In German it is called "Päpstliche Zitronencreme", but nobody can tell me, which Pope it was, who liked it so much. It is a simple dessert, that can be pimped a little.


I found 2 packed Amalfi Lemons at our big supermarket on the exotic fruit table.  First I thought, why here? They are lemons, but then I saw the price and I knew why they were on that table. I took some time to decide if I was buying them.

These lemons are well known for their great flavour and the are the base of the Limoncello Liqueur I used several times now. That made it easier to buy them. But I hadn´t an idea what to make with them.

So I peeled with a slicer the thin yellow skin off and made a 60 ml water to 60 ml sugar syrup and started to cook them, cool them, cook them the next couple of days again and again until all the syrup was nearly evarporated. Then I put them into sugar to dry out. Some of the skin went into the dessert.



recipe for 4:
400 ml cold water
2 tbsp corn starch
4 tbsp sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 lemons juice and zest
200 ml soft beaten double cream
some candied lemon peel   - optional


In a pot stir the starch into the cold water until full dissolved, add the sugar and the beaten eggs and stir until combined. Bring to a boil and add some candied peel finely chopped, and don´t forget to stir.
When the mix has cooked, transfer it into a large bowl and stir until it is cool.
Fold in the double cream and pour into individual cups to serve, when it is completely cool.

Amalfi lemons candied

No comments:

Post a Comment