Sunday 3 April 2016

Chicory Beef Eggs and Lemon Crete Style

I was at the butcher shop on the way home and bought some meat for the next three days. Some lean beef, some beef liver and some Bratwurst. I have a couple of things left from the Easter grocery shopping, so I needed to make some meals out of them. Otherwise throwing them out- that is not something I do easy.


I wanted to make the fresh beef mince today and had 2 heads of chicory in the veggie drawer of my fridge. While looking through the drawer I saw some limes sitting around and found a fresh red chili.
I have still a couple of fresh eggs on the counter, I didn´t color that much this year so I thought about a Greek theme or better yet a Crete theme. They love the combination of lemon and eggs and use that to bind soups or sauces. Greek Oregano - the dried version- is in a bottle in the cupboard and some more seasonings are handy. They may not be Greek- I use a good dose of Zatar and some sumac and I loved it. This dish is light and goes great with fresh cucumber and some seasoned globs of Tsatziki.

recipe: 
200 g lean beef mince
2 heads of chicory
3 tbsp olive oil
a bunch of spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 red chili
4 eggs
2 tbsp cream
1 lime - you can use a lemon
3 tbsp water or broth or alcohol
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Zatar
1/2 tsp sumac
lots of pepper and salt
50 g Tzatziki
1/2 cucumber


chop the onions, garlic, chili and chicory
start with the beef in a pan with olive oil, when it is brown, season with salt and pepper add the chopped veggies, the chicory last.
Cook for 10 min. and add some water
Season with oregano, Zatar and sumac
beat the eggs with the cream and pour over the mixture, stir one time and put a lid on the pan to let it cook.

Serve with the cucumber and the Tzatziki


No comments:

Post a Comment