Tuesday 17 May 2016

Okonomiyaki my style

I made a bastard version of an Japanese classic from the Osaka region. It is a combination of food I found in my fridge and some half eaten stuff, like crisps, all mixed together the way I saw on YT.



Runnyrunny999 is a wonderful guy making cooking videos and presenting them in a rather unusal way, funny and sometimes not so understandable. Well, he uses Bla time in Japanese.
I have seen many of his videos now and I love cooking japanese style, so I tried many of his recipes.
He made Okonomiyake western style and all the ingredients were at home.

Lets say: edible but not so tasty as I thought. Hopefully I will get one when I am in Japan this fall.

Here is a listing of the ingredients I used and the way I prepared it:

60 g cooked pasta
60 g china cabbage shredded
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup milk
salt
1 egg

I made a pancake like batter and mixed in the cabbage and the cold pasta and stuffed it into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
I bought some raw sausage shaped cevapcici to prepare as a meal in the next day, so I took 2 of them, cut the up and in a little oil sauted them until done. I mixed the meat with some ketchup (the Japanese version of a tomato sauce).



After 30 minutes in some olive oil I baked the pancake until golden on one side. The turned it and spread some crushed crisps (Potato chips) on top, turned it again to fry and heaped some of the meat/tomato mixture on top. Covered it with some Mayonnaise and made my own Okonmiyaki sauce.

Homemade Okonomiyaki Sauce:
2 tbsp Worchestersauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp honey

give it 3 min to get golden on one side then flip
takes a couple of min on the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment