Monday 20 June 2016

Duck and Barley Salad

I bought a duck leg last week in France and planned it for a meal this Sunday. But that was the only thing I had planned out. What to do with it, how to cook or serve it, was unknown. Since Friday I shuffled a couple of ideas around in my head - cook it with some lentils, have it with a dark gravy and some roasted potatoes, but inspiration  struck this morning: make a salad.


I checked for my different kinds of lentils and found a package of French orge perlé in my cupboard, the large size ones. Duck legs with barley it was. How to prepare it was the next question. A tasty salad came to my mind, because I have some rocket, tomatoes and different herbs sitting around.
That was a great idea, and I put the duck leg in a pan of Montfort Graisse de Canard sitting in Jars in the fridge and confied it.

For fresh herbs- I have an abundance sitting on my balcony - about 35 pot until now - and 7 tomato plants (it is like a jungle out there). I have thrown pineapple mint, dill, chives and daikon cress in. And I watched Sunday Sortedfood fridgecam video this morning and for an UMAMI flavour, Noori seaweed is a must, I shredded a quarter of a sushi sheet as well.


recipe:
1 duck leg
1 jar of Montfort Graisse de Canard
150 g large pearl barley
750 ml chicken stock
5 red cherry tomatoes
5 yellow cherry tomatoes
2 spring onions
50 g fresh rocket
3 stalks of dill
1 stalk pineapple mint
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tbsp daikon cress
1/4 sheet of Noori

dressing
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
5 drops Chipotle Tabasco
1 tsp Agave syrup
2 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
a good pinch of bacon salt
a couple of rounds of mixed peppers
2 tbsp water
1/4 sheet of Noori


In a pan melt the duck fat and insert the leg and cook it on low heat for 1 hour, turning it every 10 minutes.
In a pot heat up the chicken stock and cook the barley on low heat for 25 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
Quarter the tomatoes and cut up the spring onions. Wash and cut off the long stems from then rocket,  no one ones to have them  between their teeth!
Chop the herbs .
Pull the meat off the duck leg and cut it into small pieces.
Bring everything together in  a bowl and make the dressing.
Let it sit for 30 minutes before you serve it.


It goes great with a glass of dry white wine, the same kind you would drink with some  Fondue or
Raclette.


No comments:

Post a Comment