Thursday 18 August 2016

Herb and Cheese Bread

The herbs in the pots on my balcony are exploding. I took a knife and a colander and went outside to take some in. About 20 different herbs went into it. I had to take a couple of minutes to clean them, get all the stems off and that was the time I choose a recipe. Bread.


This is the base recipe I used for the wood garlic bread. The wild garlic time is over, but the mixed herbs made me curious, how that would taste. The wild garlic was very garlicky in the bread and dominated it.

recipe:
200 g flour
50 g semolina douro
20 g fresh yeast
45 g Pecorino
30 g fresh mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 heaped tsp mustard
70 ml milk
70 ml water
2 tsp olive oil with lemon



Warm the milk and water a bit, add the sugar and yeast and dissolve it.
Chop the herbs with a knife  and add to the liquid.
Grate the Pecorino.
Sieve the flour and add the semolina, salt and cheese and mustard.
Pour in the liquid and start to knead it in the machine for 6 - 8 minutes, or when you use a Thermomix like I do, knead it for 2,5 minutes.
Place the dough ball in a bowl and cover and let it prove for 1 hour.


Now you can get creative, I thought about making two Baguettes, or once again the star ring but cut the dought in 9 pieces and made small balls with a dent in the middle and pinched in sides.
I set them in a circle and let them prove under a cover for 30 more minutes.
A little oil on top makes a nice crust, so use a brush.

I bake my bread on a baking stone in my oven, I heated it for 30 minutes on highest heat, then dropped the heat to 200 C, shot the bread in a spritzed some water on top.
The bread ring baked for 25 minutes, then I used a large wooden spoon and stuck it into the oven door and baked 10 more minutes.

The taste is different form the garlic bread, the mix of herbs is lighter in taste and you can get more of the cheese flavour. Very nice.
Just eat it with some demi-sel butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment