Sunday 7 August 2016

Mul Naengmyeon - Cold Buckwheat Noodles

This is a dish I can´t pronounce! I will call it cold noodles.


I was in my fav Asian supermarket again and looking around for something new. They have a whole isle with Korean food. There I found packages with buckwheat noodles and broth packages inside. The sign discription on the back was easy to follow, so I bought a pack. I love Buckwheat!
I also bought the fermented red chili paste Gochujang, which SortedFood used in their Bibimbap dish. A 500 g package of chili flakes set beside it, it went into my shopping basket too. They taste great, I used them in my Brazilian dish. I don´t know how long the chili will last!

Now back to the cold noodle soup.
We have a hot Sunday today. This year we have a kind of part time summer, it is summer only 3 o4 4 days a week, the rest is colder and wet. The last weekend we had the cold and wet part, now today it is lovely outside with 28 C.
I was out at 10 AM for an hour Chi Gong in the park and after that looked forward to something cold for lunch.
As usual I trawled the YT channel for some information about Mul Naengmyeon and I found "Maangchi" . She is doing Internet cooking video for many years and the cold noodles were one of her dishes.

recipe:
200 g buckwheat noodles
2 packages of broth seasoning
3 cups of water
4 inch piece of cucumber
1 nashi
3 radishes
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp mustard oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1  boiled cold egg

Start with pickling the cucumber and radishes, slice them into very fine slices, throw away the wet middle of the cucumber. Mix cider vinegar,  1/2 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and let the veg stay for 30 minutes minimum.
Peel the Nashi and cut half of it into fine slices, the rest grate very fine and press out the juice. the slices stay in water with 1 tsp of sugar.
Ice cold water mixed with 2 packages of broth, put in the pear juice and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Cook the noodles for 3 minutes, drain them and place them in cold running water. Start to wash them to get the starch out, that makes then very chewy and that is great to slurp them later. It is like washing socks :-)
Half the egg.
In a big bowl add the noodles and pour the broth over, top  with cucumber and radishes and pear slices, add some mustard and sesame oil, the toasted sesame and the egg and dig in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment