Saturday 13 August 2016

Parsley Salad from the Middle East

When I don`t have enough parsley on my balcony I have to buy some. At our supermarkets, you will get packaged parsley 40 g each pack and that is standart.
But whenever I go to one of our Turkish supermarkets, the smallest size of parsley is 200 g, but mostly half a kilo is often sold.
In German kitchen parsley is just use to enhance the flavour of a dish or to give some color, so the standart 40 g are enough to satisfy most customers.


I was out and got myself the 200 g version and now I remembered the salad I loved so much during my tour through Jordan. In the city of Jerash, I stumbled over this salad the first time, and at many stops during lunch hour I found it on food tables. 
So whenever I have an overload of parsley I fall back to this tasty recipe.
(Or may be Chimmicurri :D )


recipe:
200 g flatleaf parsley
1 tbsp chives
1 white onion
1 lemon zest and juice
50 g mixed toasted seeds
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 tsp zatar
8 tbsp olive oil

Chop parsley not too fine, but chop the onion and chives very fine. Zest and juice the lemon and mix it with the oil and season the parsley.
I used mixed seeds such as sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and pine nuts, but you can use whatever you like or have on hand.

I served it as a Middle Eastern lunch with some crumbly cheese, an omlette and Arabic flatbread.


No comments:

Post a Comment