Monday 28 November 2016

Jasmin Rice and Cardamom Cake GF

I wanted to bake a Birthday cake to feed it to my coworkers. It took me a long time to find a cake that spoke to me and wasn ´t filled and topped with butter cream. I have to confess, I am not a real fan of butter cream. I put it on m my sideboard at the office at 7 AM and it was gone at noon. Everyone was surprised and liked the cake a lot.


I was on a trip through the Garden of England this spring and in Lanhydrock House in Cornwall in the Gift Shop I found a book from Fiona Cairns- Seasonal baking. She is the one who made the wedding cake for Kate and Prince William.
This is the first time I used one of the recipes as an idea for me. It is a gluten free bake, that is something challenging and I wanted to make it and changed it a bit.
Now, that the cake is done- I have not tasted it yet - I know one thing: it is very time consuming.
I started with the first task at 7:40 AM and finished the cake at 3:40 PM. It needs many hours to cool down in between.


recipe:
unsalted butter for the baking tin 24 cm diameter
and baking paper for the bottom and the rim

10 cardamom pods
250 g Jasmine rice
750 ml whole milk
2 stalks lemon grass
2 fresh bay leaves
1 pinch of salt
75 g coconut flour sugar
50 g caster sugar
150 ml double cream
150 ml coconut cream
 6 eggs, separated
200 g curd low fat
300 ml double cream
zest of one lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pandan extract (green colour)
30 g icing sugar
some Physalis for decoration and some green sprinkles


Start with the cardamom pods. Use a pestel and mortar and beat the pods open and get the seeds out. Grind the seeds into a fine powder, put it through a sieve.
In a big pot, bring unsalted water to the boil and cook the rice for 3 minutes. Drain and clean the pot.
Put the rice back into the pot with the milk, cardamom powder, bay leaves and lemon grass and the sugar, except 1 tbsp of it.



Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. Let it cool down completely and then remove the bay leaves and lemon grass.


Separate the eggs and beat the egg white to stiff peaks, adding the tablespoon of sugar at the end.
Mix the yolks with the cream and coconut cream and loosen the cold rice in the mix. Fold in the egg whites gently.

Butter and paper the baking dish and heat up the oven to 180 C.
Fill in the mix and bake for 40-45 minutes, it should  still wobble a little in the middle. Cool down in the baking dish completely.
Open the dish and turn the cake upside down on a cake platter and peel off the paper.


Get the curd loosened up with a whisk and whip the double cream to soft peaks. Add lemon zest and vanilla extract and a bit of green pandan extract.


Use a cake turntable if you have one, makes life a lot easier.
With an offset palette knife and coat top and sides of the cake.
If you put some paper strips under the cake, you can get a clean cake platter when you are finished.
Cool it down, the decorate it with some sprinkles and a bit of Physalis.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment