Saturday 24 December 2016

Turbot panfried

For Christmas Eve I bought a whole fish. It is not so often eaten and not so common to buy at the local fishmonger.

These turbots are from Aquaculture, they are a lot smaller. But is is Eco friendly and protects the wild fish.
When I planned this dinner I thought about a bigger sized fish, taking out the fillets and getting them into a bag and sucking out the air to make a vacuum. I wanted to cook them Sou Vide.
But for a method like this, the amount of fillet should have been at least 3 times the weight I had here.
So I decided to pan fry them and let the fish rest in the oven for 10 minutes.

Just put some salt on top and flour the fish on both sides. A wide pan with a knob of butter and a tbsp of oil. A clove of garlic in the pan, that´s it.

On each side 3 1/2 minutes, then into the preheated oven at 150 C for 10 minutes.
After the resting time is over and you want to be sure that the fish is done, use a metal skewer or a thin blade and stick it into the fish at the thickest part. Take it out, take it to your lower lip. When it is warm against the lip, it is done.


The skin is not edible and the seam around the fillets are not worth any work on them. Just lift the fillets off the bone, parting the fish along the backbone in the middle. Turn it to the other side and lift both fillets off there too.
Season with salt and pepper and some lemon juice. I served the fillets on top of 2 slices of toast and I had some oven roasted tomatoes with it and a bit of horseradish.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment