Sunday 30 April 2017

Pulled Pork in a Crock Pot

You can call it a Slow Cooker too!



I made pulled pork before, just braising in a pot on the hob, the other time using the oven, but the end result did never really satisfy me. Since I am a kitchen machine junkie, I found an offer on Amazon leading me to this side. There were so many different offers there, I had to make some studies before buying one. In the end I ordered a 3,5 l Crock Pot and I am happy that it came so soon.
I watched some YT vids and checked a douzen recipes online and as always came up with my own version.
It tastes sooo gooood!  And it smelled even better during the night.  When I woke up, the smell became more intense over the hours.



recipe:
1,5 kg pork neck
1/2 medium bottle BBQ sauce with hickory smoke
250 ml apple juice
250 ml chicken stock
1 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
6 slices ginger
2 bay leaves

marinade:
1 tbsp  pork rub (coriander, allspice, caraway, lovage, onion, garlic, majoran, rosemary, cloves, juiper berries, thyme, paprika, salt and mustard seeds)
2 tsp truffle honey
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
pepper
2 tsp worchester sauce
2 tsp malt vinegar


Use a big freezer bag and get all the marinade components in.
Take a sharp knife and trim most of the fat and sinew off the pork neck.
Drop it in the bag and start kneeding it. Place it in the fridge for 12 hours.


Peel the onion and garlic and make half onion rings and crush the garlic. Place it in the crock pot, add the ginger slices and the bay leaves and 3 tbsp of BBQ sauce. Stir it.
Take the meat out of the bag and drop it on top the onion garlic mix. The bone should be on top.
Fill in the apple juice, chicken stock and 3 tbsp of BBQ sauce. The liquid should max reach the top of the meat, it can be a bit lower.


Close the lid and set the crock pot on high.
Let it run  for 8 - 9 hours.


Get the meat out, discard the bones. Sieve out the veggies bits from the liquid, put it in a casserole and reduce it until you have half the liquid. Degrease with a spoon or cool down and take the grease off.
Use 2 forks and pull the pork apart. Mix with some of the sauce or BBQ sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment