Tuesday 27 June 2017

A walk along Boulevard St. Germain, Paris

The Boulevard St.Germain is a very long street south of the river Seine. A long part of it, east and west of the church St.Germain des Prets is known for the high class shopping. All the famous well known shops are here and between these you can find high end food.

I went  into Paris by train and Metro and came up back to street level at Metro station St.Germain des Prets. My first way was to the famous Café de Flore. It is an old institution and perfectly kept.


I had a  grand café creme and a pain de raisin and paid € 9,60.  It was worth its price and a good start into the long walk.


After a couple of minutes I found the Maison George Larnicol - a chocolatier and patisier. A shop right after my heart. Lots of different coloured Macarons, Kouign amann with different fillings and chocolate in a vast veriaty. Just pick up a box and start shovel (with small shovels on each tray) the goodies into the box.



Since the Boulevard is long, you reach an other part of the city after the long walk. I came into Latin, Quartier Latin- still Boulevard St.Germain Latin. Here the shops cater more to the regular people, suddenly I found an North African fruit and veg shop and wondered how he could affort the rent for that place, but then I saw the other more common stores around. A place at a road crossing held todays market, local butchers sold their stuff, veggies and lots of fruit and then the other tents were  you could buy regional products from other parts of  France. Such as confit de canard from the Perigord or different mustards from the Bourgogne region.
I left the market with a couple of mustards, some for me, some for my friends.

At the Gare d`Austerlitz I needed lunch to get off my feet. I found a Brasserie selling different Galettes. I love these since I spent 2 weeks driving along the coast of the Bretagne a couple of years ago.
The filling was Savoyarde style, that means lots of Reblochon cheese, sauted onions, boiled small potatoes and bacon. A treat for sore feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment