Friday 13 October 2017

Chayote - an absolut unknown vegetable here

I came across it in my Asian supermarket again after a long time.


I discovered it during my holidays on the island of La Palma in the Canaries 3 years ago.


The local market sold it and my Spanish language was good enough to ask the vendor what to do with it.
And it tasted good either raw or cooked. It reminds me of a Kohlrabi.
I prepared it like I would prepare Kohlrabi, but with fresh chili and a good amount of garlic.


Recipe for 2:
1 chayote
3 cloves of garlic
2 spring onions
1 red chili
80 ml chicken stock
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp chives
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil

Start the olive oil and add the base with onion, garlic and chili. Season. After 3 min add the bite size chunks of chayote. Sautee for 3 min, add the chicken stock, refuce the heat and close the lid. Cook until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment