Sunday 17 December 2017

British Mince Pies

That is a Christmas treat from Great Britain like no other. A couple of years ago I bought a packaged one from Harrods at the Frankfurt Airport, but it was a bit too dry for my taste.
I ordered stuff from a British Shop online this year for the first time in October and saw a jar of Mince Meat there. I ordered it to try my hand at these pies around Christmas time.


Today was the day. I was not so sure if it would work and how it would taste, so I bought ready made shortcrust pastry yesterday at the supermarket. I had no idea how to prepare them and as always google helped. I checked about 10 different recipes, even the one from Sortedfood and made it my own recipe by adjusting several of them to my liking.

I even baked them at a lower temperature for a shorter time and they came out good. Just one broke while I tried to scoop it out of the muffin tray- but that was my first try of the homemade mince pie and I was delighted.

recipe:
1 ready made shortcrust pastry
320 g jar of Mince Meat
1 clementine
1 zest of a lemon
1 small apple with peel
2 tsp of Osborne Brandy
1 egg
cooking spray for the muffin tray
icing sugar

Prepare the Muffin tray with spray and preheat the oven 210 C.
Pour the jar of Mince Meat into a bowl.
Peel the clementine and brake it down to individual segments, half them.
Core the apple and chop it into fine cubes.
Zest the lemon
Add Brandy and mix everything well.

Cut out 10 cm discs from the shortcrust pastry and place them in the muffin tray.
Fill with 2 tsp of mix.
Place some dough on top, either cover it fully or make some star shapes.
Brush with egg wash.

Bake for 17 minutes.
Let rest in the tray for 10 min and the scoop them out and cool on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment