Friday 1 December 2017

I visited an Eco Farm and bought unkown fruit

In the far east of the island of Curacao I trundled with my car on the way to one of the many beaches when I saw a wooden sign, nailed to a tree.
Mimi' s Eco Farm. I took a turn and drove up a gravel stretch of road and found myself in the middle of nowhere.
After I went through a wooden gate, I was greeted by some geese. The sign on top of the fence said:
Security Team, we bite  :D!


Some blue basins and containers came next a woman watering them. Then I met the owner and asked if they sold some fruit or veggies. A tiny chicken was running over my feet and I asked for eggs, which are rare in many supermarkets here.

I was not lucky to get some eggs. 42 hens were murdered last week by local half wild dogs.

The only thing she sold was some fruit, she called them "Golden Apples".
I have never seen these before.

In Spanish they are called Manzanas d´Oro. There origin is here in the Caribbean.
When they are unripe, they can be used for salads. When they are turning dark gold, they are ripe, but they have a lot of blemishes, that takes away the luster of the gold.

On the roadside on the way back I picked some yellow passion fruits up at a fruit stand. They looked a bit rough, but were filled with lots of gooey liquid and seeds.


At home I peeled the one that was a bit softer then the others. You have to cut around a middle kernel, you can´t cut through it.
The ripe part tasted a bit like pear mixed with pineapple, the unripe part less like fruit but more like Philadelphia cheese.

I stored the others in the fridge, they should be ripe in a couple of days.


I mixed one of the passion fruit seeds with banana yogurt and enjoyed my treat.







No comments:

Post a Comment