Wednesday 27 December 2017

Venison Goulash with Dumplings and red Cabbage

It is a long time since I prepared venison meat. Usually it is a family holiday dish with several people sitting around the table. Preparing it for one person is not so easy.


When I prepared it the last time, I bought locally hunted wild venison from a butcher who worked together with a hunter in the area. You buy larger pieces of meat there.

For just a meal and a leftover to take to the office for lunch the next days, you buy just about a pound of venison.

During my Xmas grocery shopping trip the week before the Xmas run I went to get some basics at ALDI.  I was looking for some frozen peas and checked the freezers. I didn't find any peas but I came across a package of frozen New Zealand farmed vension goulash. It said high quality on the outside and it was a pound of meat.
I really was not sure if it was a good idea to buy it, but in the end the curiosity about the product made me put it in the shopping cart.


Recipe:i
500 g venison goulash
1 onion
1 spring onion
1 tbsp dried soup veggies
3 cloves of garlic
5 juniper berries
2 tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
Rapeseed oil
50 ml Portwine
50 ml red wine
500 ml venison stock
Salt and pepper

Season the meat and toss it in the flour.
Heat up the oil in a pot and start to brown the meat. If the pot is not wide enough, make it in 2 batches.
Get in the aromatics and deglaze the pot with Port and wine. Pour in the stock.
Cook for 70 min on low heat.
If you like thicken the sauce with a teaspoon of starch in water.








No comments:

Post a Comment