Saturday 3 March 2018

Dan Dan Noodles with Minced Meat

I went into a large Shopping Mall today because it is freezing cold outside and walking downtown in the cold while having a cold is no fun.


Since many shops are located in one place, it makes it easy to get your shopping done without any cold hands or feet. One of the many shops there is a big seller in all kinds of decorations. I was looking for some Easter inspriations, so I walked in. Two silicon moulds with Easter eggs and Easter bunny figures went into the shopping basket. Then I trundled through the shop and in the back was a nice table with all things for "Cooking with WOK".
Some small dishes to complete the ones I allready have, went into the basket and I found a new cookbook.
The Asian Noodle Kitchen. I could not resist. When I reached 400 cookbooks, stopped counting anyway.

I checked the book and found an idea to cook today. I went into the supermarket located in the shopping center and bought the meat there. All other things and the ones I added on my own I had in the fridge and in the cupboards.


recipe for 1:
1 package of ready Udon noodles
130 g minced beef and pork
1 tsp canola oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 little knob of ginger
2 spring onions
1 red bell pepper
150 ml chicken stock
2 tsp Tahini paste
1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or white rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp Szechuan pepper corns crushed
1 tsp Shaanxi Hot Chili Oil- homemade or chili flakes
3 stalks Chinese long green garlic


Chop the veggies and in a large pan heat up the oil. Just throw the minced meat in and stir quiet well to get small pieces. I usually use a couple of chopsticks in one hand and stir.
When the meat browns, add garlic and ginger and the rest of the veggies.
Let the bell pepper get a bit soft, the  all all the seasoning and chicken stock and cook until everything is done.
During that time cook the Udon noodles and set aside.
Bring everything together and check the level of heat from the Hot Oil, maybe you will need a little more. Thee finely chopped green garlic stalks go on last.

The real Dan Dan Noodles you will get in a real Chinese restaurant are long handpulled wheat noodles. The Dan Dan is the sound they make, when splashing against a table top. Udon or other wide wheat noodles are a good substitute.


No comments:

Post a Comment